Every product is different and requires a unique and correct approach to test it efficiently. Considering them like any other application is often a mistake, as they have their own customers, target, revenue, etc. Moreover, they require a customized approach and strategy for testing to add any value. This is mainly because of the complexity of the product development ecosystem. Some of the challenges faced by product development teams are discussed below.
- Unpredictable situations related to devices, environments, and platforms. Lack of control over these factors makes it more complex
- With development, product vision continuously changes. Most of the times it is so rapid that it is hard to understand what’s exactly happening
- Products are quite innovative and stand a chance to fail or break. That’s the reason products are often held in terms of budget, technologies, infrastructure, etc.
There are more challenges in addition to these which effects the entire development cycle as well as software testing. In order to design an effective testing strategy, you must consider the following points.
- The frequency of development and releases
- Project goals
- Nature of competition in the market
- Target audience
- Functional, performance, security, usability requirements.
A product lifecycle usually compromises of Product Introduction -> Product Growth -> Project Maturity -> Product Decline. However, a good product testing strategy must consider the current stage of the product in its lifecycle. Based on the different phases, you must deploy a proper product testing process at each stage.
This stage is the first and the most important where you need to lay the basis for future testing considering everything from different angles, including the following.
- Validate short-term goal
- Compatibility with respect to platform, browser, and device
- Performance, security, and usability
- Regression plan
The testing strategy should be along with the pace of development and must not create any bottlenecks.
- Test before
- Automate regression
- Concentrate on usability and UI
- Perform Performance and Security testing
At this point, the feature doesn’t change much and the focus remains on getting the business.
- Mature the testing strategy
- Go into details
- Consider new devices
- Test User manual
- Perform Security and Performance testing periodically
This brings you to a full turn and you can consider the system as a new one. You need to follow the strategy of the Product Introduction phase.
You may also like: 5 Reasons to Outsource Your Website